Bern once had a fortification around the entire city. Until mid-19th century, the Christoffeltower stood where today the baldachin arches over the bernese trainstation. With the Erleb-AR app the tower can now be marveled at, at its original construction site.
The side of the tower that faced the town had a recess ending in a pointed arch. From 1496 onwards, the recess contained a lime wood statue that was 10 metres high. It depicted Saint Christopher with the Christ Child on his shoulder and a tree trunk in his hand. In the Middle Ages the Saint Christopher was revered as the patron saint of travellers and seeing him on leaving the town bode well for one's journey.
The inner wall of the ditch was high enough to form a second fortification wall. Both the town wall and the inner ditch wall were reinforced by towers with semicircular ground plans. The area between the two walls served as an alure. Four tower gates provided access to the town. Copyright: Archäologischer Dienst des Kantons Bern – Armand Baeriswyl, 2002